Tips on Staying Safe While Studying Abroad
As a student while studying abroad, one gets the opportunity to travel and see the world in a safe atmosphere, but it never hurts to be a little cautious of what you do and where you go. Here are the basic safety tips that you need to keep in mind while studying abroad.
- Copies of your important documents- When you’re studying abroad, it is important to keep multiple copies of all your important documents like passport, credit card, insurance papers etc. In case you lose anything, you will have the details to get it back in no time.
- Medication- Before jumping on board, get a full health checkup from your doctor and get a list of all prescribed medications that you need to use. It is also important to research the medications that are illegal in your host country so that you can get an alternative prescription from the doctor.
- Memorize important details- It is important that you learn and memorize all the important numbers that you might need while you’re studying abroad. Like the number of your local embassy in your host country, number of the student advisor in your university etc.
- Research- You should spend a better part of your time researching the place you’re going to before you actually reach there. Research the areas that are worth visiting, the areas you should avoid, the places that are safe and the places that are not so safe.
- Keep your alcohol intake under control- It often becomes overwhelming for students when they suddenly get complete freedom in a new country. Hence it is important that you keep yourself under control and not push yourself over your capacity of holding down your liquor.
- Do not explore at night until you know the city well enough- Do not go out exploring the city alone at night especially when you are new to the area. If you face any problem, it is important to know your way back to your place and not get lost in an unknown city. So take a few days to settle in and know the place better before starting to explore at night.
- Leave all your expensive items at home- It might be very tempting to pack all your expensive clothes, bags or jewelry with you, but remember that you’re there to study and not attract attention that might make you an easy target for thieves and muggers.